Graphic Design Interns join an enthusiastic team at the Galveston Arts Center that focuses on engaging diverse audiences in an exploration of contemporary art topics and practices through public art exhibitions and educational programing.
This position is well-suited for candidates who want to gain insight about client needs pertaining to graphic communications, advertising design, printing, digital file formatting, web design and photography. Ideal candidates will have some experience with graphic design principles and concepts, be able to take guidance, constructive feedback, etc. and will take initiative after instruction and work independently on a given project. All equipment is provided by GAC including cameras, computers, software, and media storage devices.
• Assist in the design and production of brochures, posters, invitations, etc. for GAC events and programs
• Assist in the production of text-based exhibition didactics, labels, titles, gallery guides, signage, etc.
• Format images and graphics for web, newsletter and social media, assist with web updates
• Help photograph and/or video exhibitions and events
• Assist staff with graphic displays in the ArtWorks museum store or elsewhere in the building
• Create PowerPoint presentations for special events, meetings, grant applications/reports, etc.
• Help distribute fliers, brochures, etc. in downtown area
• Be knowledgeable about our art exhibitions and programs and represent GAC positively in the community
- Ability to commit to a schedule, including occasional evening events
- Regular and consistent online communication
- Reliable transportation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, friendliness/positive attitude
• Academic focus in graphic design or related experience
• Fluency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator) and WordPress
Part-time, flexible. Minimum 8 hours per week for one full semester (students) or 6 months (non-students.) Internships may last up to 1 year.
Regularly scheduled hours must take place during office hours: 9am-5pm M-F, 11am-5pm Saturdays, and Noon-5pm Sundays. Opportunities to work during special events occasionally occur outside these hours, generally in the evenings.
Internships are unpaid unless otherwise noted. Benefits include academic credit (if applicable), exposure to a wealth of information about the local/regional art community,and opportunities to make business contacts.
Interns have exit interviews, which provide the opportunity for two-way feedback, and may request letters of recommendation from the director and anyone they work with at GAC.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the name and phone number of two references to Reyna Collura (Director of Education) email@example.com with the subject “Internship Application” to be considered for this position.