Arts Administration Interns join an enthusiastic team at the Galveston Arts Center that focuses on working with our community to engage diverse audiences in an exploration of contemporary art. This opportunity is a well-suited position for candidates that are interested in broadening their knowledge of nonprofit organizations, arts administration, event planning, marketing and community relationship building. Ideal candidates will enjoy working with others and supporting the mission of the Galveston Arts Center. www.galvestonartscenter.org
- Assist staff with exhibit installation and de-installation
- Monitor Galveston Arts Center’s three galleries and the ArtWorks Museum Store
- Be knowledgeable about our art exhibitions and programs and answer questions from visitors
- Assist staff with research related to exhibitions, catalogs, presentations, etc.
Development & Stewardship
- Assist in the preparation of mailings and email marketing
- Assist with researching and writing grant narratives, program descriptions and other program content
- Create reports and slide presentations
- Input data entry for records-keeping
- Organize files, supplies and equipment
- Help distribute fliers, brochures, etc.
- Assist at special events including ArtWalk, workshops, and local festivals
- Ability to commit to a schedule, including occasional evening events
- Regular and consistent online communication
- Reliable transportation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, friendliness/positive attitude
- Academic focus in art, arts administration, museum studies, management, journalism, public relations, or related field
- Strong grasp of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or WordPress is a major plus
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Resourceful, flexible, reliable
- Ability to work in a shared office space
- Capacity to multi-task
Part-time, flexible. Minimum 8 hours per week for one full semester (students) or 6 months (non-students.) Internships may last up to 1 year.
Regularly scheduled hours must take place during office hours: 9am-5pm M-F, 11am-5pm Saturdays, and Noon-5pm Sundays. Opportunities to work during special events occasionally occur outside these hours, generally in the evenings.
Internships are unpaid unless otherwise noted. Benefits include academic credit (if applicable), exposure to a wealth of information about the local/regional art community,and opportunities to make business contacts.
Interns have exit interviews, which provide the opportunity for two-way feedback, and may request letters of recommendation from the director and anyone they work with at GAC.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the name and phone number of two references to Reyna Collura (Director of Education) firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Internship Application” to be considered for this position.